If you won’t be in Rio for the Olympics, you can still do plenty of Brazil activities for kids right from home. What an opportunity to share Brazilian culture AND sport while the world is watching. Brazil has all the things kids love: a fun-loving outlook, bright and beautiful colors, fascinating rainforest animals and delicious food, plus much, much more.
So while you’re glued to your favorite sports on TV, your kids can be busy with Brazil activities that may spark an interest in Portuguese, the rainforest, ecology, horticulture, dance or travel.
Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world! So, there’s a lot of variety in every aspect of Brazilian culture. This little Brazil activity for kids is a scavenger hunt that will give you a few ideas about life in Brazil and an appreciation of how our lives are better because of Brazil.
Brazil Scavenger Hunt
Can you find the things on this list? Maybe take a picture of each one to remind you. Or, you can collect everything into a Show and Tell Brazil Box.
What do we get from Brazil? Do you have these at home or school?
– Coffee: Brazil is the world’s largest producer of coffee.
– Orange Juice: Brazil supplies a lot of o.j. to the US.
So many colorful animals are in Brazil! Can you draw one of these?
– Monkey: Brazil has more than 80 species of monkeys and that’s than any other country in the world.
– A few other animals in Brazil are the sloth, giant anteater, poison dart frog, toucan, macaw and Amazon river dolphin.
Hint: You can look on our Pinterest board called Brazil for Kids for some photos of these animals and more.
Many English words come from Portuguese. Can you find these things whose names come from Portuguese?
– Cashew: from caju a tropical fruit
– Coconut: from coco + nut
– Mosquito: from mosquito meaning ‘little fly’
– Potato: from batata
The world has shared many plants along with the food that grows on them. When something is wonderful it has a way of finding its way around the world! These plants originated in the area of Brazil. Can you find them where you are right now?
– Peanut: probably originated in Brazil or Peru
– Pineapple: probably originated in Brazil or Paraguay
– Begonia: originated in Brazil
And what to do for fun? Brazilians definitely know how to have fun.
– Do the Samba! Do this video 5 times or until you have the steps down, then crank up some samba dance music and have a SAMBA DANCE PARTY!
– Soccer ball: Do you have a soccer ball? Brazil’s soccer team is the only team that has been in every World Cup. Brazil has won five World Cups in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002!
You can even cook something that’s both simple and delicious.
– Beans and Rice: Many Brazilians eat beans and rice every day. It’s a special dish cooked over a long time to blend the flavors.
– Brigadeiro is a favorite sweet that tastes like a cross between fudge and caramel.
For even more Brazil activities for kids, check out these excellent resources!
Pinterest Board: Brazil for Kids
National Geographic for Kids Brazil
Time for Kids Brazil
Kid World Citizen Brazil for Kids
From Brazil to You Recipes
Saveur Brazilian Recipes
What’s your favorite thing about Brazil?
Whole Wide World Toys is a toy company that wants kids to know and love the world. Each World Village Playset introduces kids to a fascinating new culture. Please sign up for our email list below and consider ordering our toys here so we can continue making excellent toys about more cultures around the world.